Sunday, January 2, 2011

Wrapping up 2010

In October, I learned about a young mother cat and her 1-week-old kittens that were going to be euthanized at the animal shelter. Without a second thought, I brought them home, making it my first experience as a foster mother. Watching this little family grow was one of the highlights of my year.




















We hosted a Black Friday Happy Hour the day after Thanksgiving, which was our first big party in the new house. We had a great turnout of friends and family. Do you like my nice bar set-up?




















The party aftermath. Yeah, that's a lot of bottles, but our happy hour lasted past midnight!




















I have arrived at a wonderful place following our failed IVF. In being completely honest, I realized that part of my motivation for fertility treatments was to win the battle. I'm tenacious by nature and I lost sight with what was really motivating me. Was it to win or was it because I truly wanted children? I'm happy with my life now and I wouldn't want it any other way.

I got a good kick in the butt to get to my current state of contentment. Someone I trust reminded me in the midst of my disappointment with not becoming a mother, that I was confusing a role with a purpose. All of us occupy roles, but these roles don't make us who we are.

I was fortunate enough to hear James Hollis speak this year and in his book, Finding Meaning in the Second Half of Life, he presents a type of question we ask ourselves that often precedes personal growth: "If I am not my roles, then who am I?" Finding the answer to this question takes each one of us down an individual path of self-discovery.

I don't declare new year resolutions, but I'm committed to pursue peace and spiritual expansion and embrace all that comes my way in the upcoming year.

I wish peace for you as well in 2011!

2 comments:

  1. Happy New Year! Not sure how I found your blog, but I've been reading for a couple of months.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Soapchick, thanks for the comment! Happy New Year to you!

    ReplyDelete