Sunday, July 19, 2009

impromptu taco party

I love to entertain, but if I have too much time to plan, I overextend and attempt way too much - like trying to remodel our house to magazine-perfection in a two-week time span.

Impromptu entertaining is the best remedy for my overachiever tendencies; I'm forced to prioritize and keep things simple.

With our recent mild weather, what better time to hang out in the backyard with a few friends? Yes, the yard needed to be mowed; no, I never planted anything in those bare spots; and of course I wish I had finished my outdoor pillow project. But, deciding not to care about these things was the choice I made. I had a fabulous evening with new and old friends and got to make a few of my favorite, easy recipes!


Shrimp Tacos with Spicy Cream Sauce

8 oz lowfat sour cream
1 tsp chili powder, divided
1 tsp ground cumin, divided
¾ tsp ground red pepper
¾ tsp salt, divided
¼ tsp ground cinnamon
1 lb unpeeled medium shrimp
3 Tbs orange juice
2 tsp olive oil
2 garlic cloves

For the sauce:
Whisk together the sour cream, ½ tsp chili powder, ½ tsp cumin, ½ tsp red pepper, ¼ tsp salt, and cinnamon. Stir until smooth. Cover and chill until ready to serve.

For the shrimp:
Peel and devein the shrimp (you can also chop it). Combine the remaining ½ tsp chili powder, ½ tsp cumin, ¼ tsp red pepper and ½ tsp salt in a ziploc bag or shallow dish; add orange juice and shrimp, turning to coat. Chill for 15+ minutes.

Remove the shrimp from marinade, discarding the marinade. Saute the garlic in olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add shrimp and cook just until pink. Serve on tortillas with spicy cream sauce, shredded cheese, avocado, shredded lettuce, and whatever else you like!

For easy serving, set up a taco bar.

Fresh squeezed lemon and lime juice is the key to yummy margaritas. Oh yeah, and good tequlia.

I sure do love this man!

Jamie sipping her margarita.

1 comment:

  1. I agree 100%. Everyone (including the host/hostess) has more fun when the focus is on people and not perfection. Can't wait for the next impromptu party! :)

    ReplyDelete